|A must for any coach|
The following are situations where coaches can use a stopwatch to time players and/or monitor the progress of their team as a whole.
- Running on and off the field as a team.
- Individual times for players on and off the field.
- Time between pitches.
- Time between innings.
- Outfield release times. (time between the catch and the throw)
- Infield release times.
- Ground balls. (contact point to 1st baseman's catch)
- Double plays by infielders.
- Home to 1st double play. (1-2-3)
- Pickoff plays.
- 1st to third base running.
- 2nd to Home base running.
- Catcher pop-times.
To get an idea on various running times and ratings, the following chart was given to me by a Pirates scout a few years back. You can see how your players stack up both as runners and as defensive players trying to get these runners out.
Home to 1B L/R
6.4 or under
Well above avg